Effective date: 07-04-2021
These terms provide that potential disputes between you and Trustly, if any, will be resolved by binding arbitration. Please see the section labeled “Dispute Resolution” below.
- Overview of the Trustly Services.
(a) Your Access to the Trustly Services. You were probably directed to the Trustly Services because you are purchasing goods or obtaining services from a Merchant. To obtain these goods or services, you need to provide payment and/or information to the Merchant. That Merchant has entered into an agreement with us to enable you to provide such payment and/or information to the Merchant in connection with the goods or services you are obtaining from them. In some cases, you may even be receiving funds from the Merchant. The Trustly Services enable you to (i) provide information and/or payment to a Merchant, and/or (ii) authorize a Merchant to obtain information and/or payment from, or send payment to, you, for the goods or services you wish to obtain from such Merchant. The Trustly Services, in some cases or for some Merchants, may be limited to use within a certain U.S. state.
(b) Our Relationship with Merchants (Agent of the Merchant for Payments). As noted above, the Trustly Services are provided to certain Merchants pursuant to an agreement between Trustly and such Merchants. If you are using our payment processing services, then these Merchants have expressly authorized us, in an agreement between them and us, to act as their agents to receive and process payments on their behalf. When we receive funds from you as payment for goods and services provided to you by the Merchant, such payment is considered to have been received by the Merchant and will extinguish your payment obligation to the Merchant in the amount of the applicable payment. When we receive funds from the Merchant as disbursement or refund to you in connection with goods and services provided to you by the Merchant, such payment is considered to have been received by you and will extinguish the Merchant’s payment obligation to you in the amount of the applicable payment.
2. Eligibility. You must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to use the Trustly Services. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us: (a) that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age; (b) that your use of the Trustly Services has not been suspended or terminated for any reason; and (c) that your use of the Trustly Services is in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations and all agreements that you may have with third parties. You are not eligible to use the Trustly Services if you do not agree to these Terms. If you are using the Trustly Services on behalf of an entity, organization, or company, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to bind such entity, organization or company to these Terms and you agree to be bound by these Terms on behalf of such entity, organization or company.
3. Security of Your Online Banking Access Credentials. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality as well as adequate security and control of any and all online banking access credentials that you use to access the Trustly Services. Please protect such information. We will never store or share your online banking access passwords, PIN numbers, security questions and answers, or any other authentication information provided by you which is used to access your online banking account with any third party other than your Bank. If you have reason to believe that your Bank account is no longer secure, then you must immediately notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Your Information and Authorization.
(a) Using the Trustly Services to Provide Information or Payment. As described above, through or via the Trustly Services made available to you by a Merchant, you may provide information to such Merchant, Trustly, and/or other third party service providers (or to a third party on such Merchant’s, Trustly’s and/or other third party service providers’ behalf), in order to (a) retrieve and verify information about you, (b) obtain payment(s) from your Bank account, or (c) make payment(s) to your Bank account, all in connection with such Merchant’s provision of goods or services to you. As used in these Terms, “Bank” means a U.S. federal- or state-chartered bank, credit union, thrift, or other chartered depository institution.
(b) Information We May Request From You or Obtain About You. To access and use the Trustly Services made available to you by a Merchant, you may be asked for, among other things, a Bank name, a Bank login ID, password, PIN number, answers to security questions or other authentication information (i.e. your online banking access credentials), a Bank account number and bank routing transit number, a Bank account type, other Bank account information, and potentially other personal identification data, such as your name, driver’s license number, or taxpayer identification number. With the authorization you have provided in these Terms, we may also retrieve information about you from such Merchant, your Bank or other third parties to facilitate your use of the Trustly Services as enabled by such Merchant. The type of information we may request from you and the type of information we may obtain about you will depend upon which Trustly Services you are using. For example, our Manually Enter Data services merely require that you provide your bank account number and routing number to us while our payment processing services may require that you provide your online banking access credentials so that we may process a payment from you to a Merchant.
(c) How Your Information Is Used. By using the Trustly Services made available to you by a Merchant, you authorize us to process, use, and disclose the information you provide to us, or that we retrieve about you, in accordance with these Terms, to enable the transmission of information about you to such Merchant, to facilitate payment(s) between you and such Merchant, and to use it in other ways as described in the Terms. Trustly is a service provider to Merchants and will not use the information we retrieve from or about you to market any Merchants’, or any other companies’, goods or services to you. Below are some examples of how we may use the information you provide to us, or that we obtain about you, to facilitate the provision of goods or services to you by a Merchant:
(i) accessing your Bank account and retrieving information associated with your Bank account (including personal information), via an interactive session based on a user interface, or one or more server-to-server sessions without a user interface;
(ii) verifying that you are the holder of such Bank account and that you have all necessary rights and authority to use such Bank account;
(iii) verifying your identity and other information (including personal and financial information);
(iv) verifying that your Bank account is in good standing;
(v) collecting and verifying the Bank account information (including bank account and routing numbers, name on account, and account type) required for Merchants to obtain payments from you or make payments to you;
(vi) providing relevant information per the above (but not your online banking access credentials) to Merchants, service providers and other third parties to facilitate payments and other transactions between you and our Merchants.
Please review our Privacy Policiy located at https://www.trustly.net/us/privacy-policy/ for more information regarding how your information is collected, shared, used, and disclosed.
(d) Your Authorization. By using the Trustly Services, as made available to you by a Merchant, you are authorizing Trustly to retrieve information from your Bank account, and to obtain information about you from such Merchant and third parties, and to share such information (except your online banking access credentials) with such Merchant and third parties, in connection with the provision of goods or services by such Merchant to you, as described in these Terms and such Merchant’s own terms of service. You are also authorizing Trustly, either directly or through third parties, to make any inquiries we consider necessary to verify your identity and/or your your financial standing. For example, we may ask you for additional information like your date of birth, mobile phone number, or physical address. We may also verify your information against a third party database or through another source. Anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing laws may require that we verify certain information you provide us, or that we obtain about you, before using some of the Trustly Services.
(e) Your Authorization with respect to Payments to Merchants; Payments to You. If you authorize a Merchant to obtain payment(s) from you, or make payment(s) to you, via the Trustly Services, you agree that you are giving electronic consent and authorization to Trustly to obtain and share the information necessary to enable the Merchant to transfer payment from, or, as applicable, to your Bank account via the U.S. Automated Clearing House (“ACH”) system, Real-Time Payments network (“RTP”), intrabank transfer, or other systems or methods, in the amount specified.
NOTE REGARDING “INSTANT PAYMENTS” or “INSTANT PAYOUTS”: Please note that certain of the Trustly Services enable you to request payments (or payouts) to you from a Merchant or from an account or wallet you maintain with a Merchant. These payments are subject to the Merchant’s confirmation, verification, or approval. Even if the payments are labeled as “instant”, it may take a couple of hours or a couple of days to get the Merchant’s confirmation, verification, or approval.
(f) Your Authorization to Use Your Information and to Access Third-Party Online Sites. By using the Trustly Services, as made available to you by a Merchant, you hereby authorize Trustly to access the online sites of third parties designated by you (including your Bank’s online and mobile banking services), on your behalf, to retrieve and/or verify information needed in connection with our provision of the Trustly Services to such Merchant, and you by extension. You hereby also authorize and permit Trustly to process and use information submitted by you to the Trustly Services (such as your name, your online banking access credentials, your Bank routing number, account number, and account type, your driver’s license number, or your taxpayer identification number) to accomplish the foregoing and to configure the Trustly Services so that the Trustly Services are compatible with the third party online sites for which you submit your information.
(i) LIMITED POWER OF ATTORNEY. Except as set forth in Section 4(f)(ii) below, for all purposes described in these Terms, you hereby grant Trustly a limited power of attorney, and you hereby appoint Trustly as your true and lawful attorney-in-fact and agent, with full power of substitution and re-substitution, for you and in your name, place and stead, in any and all capacities, to access third party sites, retrieve and/or verify information, process and use your information, all as described above, with the full power and authority to do and perform each and every act and thing requisite and necessary to be done in connection with such activities, as fully to all intents and purposes as you might or could do in person. You acknowledge and agree that when Trustly is accessing, retrieving, and/or verifying information on or from third party sites, Trustly is acting as your agent and on your behalf, and is not the agent of, or acting on behalf of, a Merchant or any other third party.
(ii) NO LIMITED POWER OF ATTORNEY – AVAILABLE ONLY FOR INFORMATION OR PAYMENT SERVICES WITHOUT ONLINE BANKING ACCESS. If you are using the Trustly Services, as made available to you by a Merchant, and prefer not to grant Trustly your online banking access credentials and a limited power of attorney (as described above in Section 4(f)(i)), you may use the Manually Enter Data option instead. The Manually Enter Data option may be accessible within the Trustly Lightbox on the Bank search utility screen, the Bank login screen, error handling screens, or on the cancel screen. When you choose the Manually Enter Data option, you are not required to provide your online banking access credentials to Trustly and you do not grant Trustly the limited power of attorney described above in Section 4(f)(i), and Trustly does not have access to your Bank account. However, you will have to manually type in your Bank routing and account numbers and Bank account type. You may also have to type in your driver’s license number and State. Using the Manually Enter Data option may result in a slower provision of goods or services to you (a few days instead of an instant experience via the online banking access option) and may require that you provide additional information, such as a Bank account statement. If you enter an inaccurate or incorrect Bank routing and/or account numbers and/or driver’s license number, the Trustly Services may not be able to verify your identity and Bank account. Trustly shall have no responsibility, obligation or liability for any delay in verifying, or failure to verify, your identity and Bank account because you entered incorrect or inaccurate data.
(iii) Reliance on Authorization; Payment Obligation. You agree that the relevant Merchants and other third parties engaged in the provision of goods or services to you shall be entitled to rely on the foregoing authorization, agency and power of attorney granted by you in favor of Trustly or upon the information you provided via Manually Enter Data. You also understand and agree that any payment to a Merchant which you authorize via the Trustly Services, is your payment obligation and if not collected from the Bank, we, the Merchant, or a collection agency, may contact you for payment via an alternate method using the contact information you have provided to us or the Merchant or which we obtain when you use the Trustly Services (please see Section 5 regarding Collection of Payment).
(iv) No Relationship with Third Party Sites. Trustly has no relationship to, or affiliation or connection with, any third party site accessed by Trustly in connection with its provision of the Trustly Services. The Trustly Services are not endorsed or sponsored by any such third party sites. You agree that Trustly assumes no responsibility and shall incur no liability with respect to the acts, omissions, or determinations of any such third party site accessed or used in connection with the Trustly Services. You understand that Trustly may not maintain the same level of security against unauthorized access to your account information as the third party sites on or from which you authorize Trustly to access, retrieve and/or verify information on your behalf.
5. Collection of Payment. Any payment which you authorize a Merchant to obtain from your Bank via the Trustly Services may be presented to your Bank multiple times for payment if returned unpaid. In addition, you may be subject to returned item fees (please see https://www.trustly.net/states-return-fees) on payments which are returned by your Bank or presented multiple times to your Bank for payment. If a payment is returned by your Bank, we, the Merchant, or any third party appointed by us or the Merchant, may contact you for payment via an alternate method using the information you have provided to the Merchant, to us, or to any of the Merchant’s, or our, service providers to collect payment via an alternate method.
8. Accuracy of Information. Although we strive for accuracy in all elements of the Trustly Services, there may be errors, inaccuracies or omissions. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update information or services at any time without prior notice. You are responsible for confirming the accuracy of the information you provide about each information or payment transaction with a Merchant, including, if applicable, the amount of the transaction. A Merchant may not be able to complete an information or payment transaction with you if you provide inaccurate or incorrect information.
9. Disclosure Regarding Goods or Services; Merchant Actions. Please note that while Trustly facilitates information transmission and payment transactions between you and a Merchant, it is the Merchant that actually delivers the goods or services to you and determines the amounts to be withdrawn, or deposited into, your Bank account. Thus, Trustly does not have control of, or responsibility or liability for, (i) any goods or services that are provided by such Merchant to you or are otherwise facilitated, paid for, or accessed through use of the Trustly Services; or (ii) the amounts that a Merchant decides to withdraw from, or deposit into, your Bank account if you are using our payment services. We make no warranties or representation with regard to any goods or services provided by any Merchant or other third party. You will not consider us (and we will not be construed as) a party to such transactions between you and a Merchant or other third party, whether or not we have received some form of revenue or other remuneration in connection with such transactions, and we will not be liable for any costs or damages arising out of, either directly or indirectly, such transactions or the goods or services you receive, or don’t receive, from a Merchant or other third party.
10. Unauthorized Activity on Your Bank Account. You should regularly review your Bank statements and review your payment history to identify any activity which you may not have authorized. If you discover any unauthorized activity, please contact your Bank and us immediately.
11. Refunds. Only a Merchant may provide a refund to you for (i) any goods or services which are defective, inadequate, or not received by you; or (ii) any payment you enabled the Merchant to obtain from you via the information you provided via the Trustly Services. You must contact the Merchant to initiate a refund transaction.
12. Circumstances Affecting Your Use of the Trustly Services. In addition to other limitations on liability set forth in the Terms, Trustly shall incur no liability to you if a Merchant is unable to obtain or verify information about you, obtain payment from you, or make payment to you via the Trustly Services because of the existence of any one or more of the following circumstances:
(a) The Trustly Services are not working properly, and you know or have been advised by the Trustly Services about the malfunction before you confirm or execute a transaction;
(b) You have not provided the Trustly Services with the correct Bank account or other information requested from you;
(c) Your Bank account or the Merchant’s Bank account does not contain sufficient funds to complete the payment, or we determine, in our sole discretion, that the payment transaction does not meet our risk management criteria;
(d) We determine, in our sole discretion that questionable activity has occurred with respect to your use of the Trustly Services or that a number of the payments to Merchants which you have authorized via the Trustly Services have been returned or remain unpaid;
(e) Circumstances beyond the control of Trustly, including delays by Merchants, financial institutions (including your Bank), ACH service providers, or the ACH network when using the information you provided via the Trustly Services to enable payments from or to you in a timely manner;
(f) The Merchant elects not to process, or to delay processing of, any requested transaction; and/or
(g) Any force majeure event beyond Trustly’s reasonable control, including any (i) pandemic, severe weather or natural disaster, (ii) war, riot or civil commotion, (iii) governmental acts or directives, or (iv) strikes, work stoppage, or equipment, or facilities shortages.
13. Prohibited Conduct. By using the Trustly Services, you agree you will not:
(a) Use the Trustly Services for any illegal purpose, or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law;
(b) Perform any fraudulent activity, including performing fraudulent transactions, impersonating any person or entity, claiming false affiliations, accessing the accounts of others without permission, providing false, inaccurate, or misleading information, sending or receiving what we reasonably believe to be potentially fraudulent funds, or falsifying your age or date of birth;
(c) Interfere with security-related features of the Trustly Services, including without limitation by (i) disabling or circumventing features that prevent or limit use or copying of any content, (ii) reverse engineering or otherwise attempting to discover the source code of the Trustly Services or any part thereof except to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law; or (iii) circumvent our geolocation or geoblocking technology;
(d) Breach these Terms;
(e) If the Trustly Services are limited for use within a certain state, access the Trustly Services from outside that state;
(f) Refuse to verify your identify or information or to cooperate with any investigation or our attempts to collect funds from you for a payment transaction;
(g) Infringe Trustly’s or any third party’s copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy;
(h) Interfere with the operation of the Trustly Services or any Merchant’s or user’s enjoyment of the Trustly Services, including without limitation by (i) uploading or otherwise disseminating viruses, adware, spyware, worms, or other malicious code, (ii) making unsolicited offers or advertisements to other users of the Trustly Services, (iii) attempting to collect personal information about users or third parties without their consent; or (iv) interfering with or disrupting any networks, equipment, or servers connected to or used to provide the Trustly Services, or violating the regulations, policies, or procedures of such networks, equipment, or servers; and/or
(i) Attempt to do any of the foregoing, or assist or permit any persons in engaging or attempting to engage in any of the foregoing activities.
14. Termination of Use; Discontinuation and Modification of the Trustly Services. If you violate any provision of these Terms, your permission to use the Trustly Services will terminate automatically. Additionally, Trustly, in its sole discretion, may suspend or terminate your access to the Trustly Services at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. We also reserve the right to modify or discontinue the Trustly Services at any time (including, without limitation, by limiting or discontinuing certain features of the Trustly Services) without notice to you. We have no liability whatsoever on account of any change to the Trustly Services or any suspension or termination of your access to or use of the Trustly Services. You may terminate your use (and any future use) of the Trustly Services at any time by contacting customer service at email@example.com. If you terminate your use of the Trustly Services, you will remain obligated to pay all outstanding payments authorized, if any, relating to your use of the Trustly Services which have been incurred prior to termination.
17. Additional Terms. Your use of the Trustly Services is subject to any and all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Trustly Services or certain features of the Trustly Services that we may post on or link to the Trustly Services, or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible (the “Additional Terms”), such as end-user license agreements for any downloadable applications that we may offer, or rules applicable to particular features or content on the Trustly Services. All such Additional Terms are hereby incorporated by reference into, and made a part of, these Terms.
18. Changes to these Terms. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to modify or update these Terms at any time without notice to you. The date of the most current Terms is at the top of these Terms. Please check these Terms periodically for any modifications. We may provide notice of changes to these Terms through a pop-up or banner on our website(s) located at www.trustly.net/us. Any modification of these Terms will be effective upon posting of the updated Terms, and your access to and/or use of any of the Trustly Services thereafter will constitute your acceptance of such modified Terms. If you do not accept the revised Terms, please do not use the Trustly Services and be aware that we may terminate your access to and use of the Trustly Services. Disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the Terms in effect at the time the dispute arose.
19. Links. The web sites, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or SMS, instant messages, emails or other notifications sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible may also contain links to other third-party web sites or resources. Such linked web sites or resources are not under our control, and we are not responsible for their content. These Terms apply only to the Trustly Services and not to the web sites, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications of, or SMS, instant messages, emails or other notifications sent to you by, any other person or entity. Trustly is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse (and is not responsible or liable for) any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such web sites or resources. You acknowledge and agree that, under no circumstances, will we be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any loss or damage that is caused or alleged to have been caused to you in connection with your use of, or reliance on, any content, advertisements, products or other resources available on any other linked web sites or resources (regardless of whether we directly or indirectly link to such content, advertisements, products or other resources). You should direct any concerns with respect to any other web site or resource to that site/resource’s webmaster/administrator.
20. Ownership; Proprietary Rights. The Trustly Services are owned and operated by Trustly. The visual interfaces, graphics, button icons, scripts, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Trustly Services (the “Materials”) which are a part of the Trustly Services or which are created, developed, obtained, compiled, or provided by Trustly, including the trademarks and logos of Trustly (whether or not designated by ® or ™), such as the Trustly and Trustly trademarks and logos, are protected by all relevant intellectual property and proprietary rights and applicable laws. All Materials contained in the Trustly Services are the property of Trustly or our third-party licensors. Except as expressly authorized by Trustly in writing, you may not make use of the Materials. You may not remove or alter any notices found on the Trustly Services, distribute, make derivative works of, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Trustly Services. You may not access the Trustly Services for the purpose of building a similar or competitive service, website, or app. You may not use any web crawler, robot, spider, or other automated method to retrieve, data mine, scrape or otherwise gather information or content available through the Trustly Services. Trustly reserves all rights to the Materials not granted expressly in these Terms.
21. Indemnity. You agree that you will be responsible for your use of the Trustly Services, and you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Trustly and its officers, directors, employees, consultants, affiliates, parents, subsidiaries and agents, the Merchants, the Merchant service providers, and other third parties who offer the Trustly Services to you or make the Trustly Services available to or accessible by you, and your Bank (collectively, the “Trustly Entities”) from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to, use of, or alleged use of the Trustly Services; (ii) your violation of these Terms or any representation, warranty, or agreements referenced herein, or any applicable law or regulation; (iii) your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any intellectual property right, publicity, confidentiality, property or privacy right; or (iv) any disputes or issues between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you (and without limiting your indemnification obligations with respect to such matter), and in such case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of such claim.
22. Disclaimers; No Warranties. The Trustly Services and all materials and content available through the Trustly Services are provided “as is” and on an “as available” basis, without warranty or condition of any kind, either express or implied. Trustly, and the Trustly Entities specifically (but without limitation) disclaim all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, relating to the Trustly Services and all materials and content available through the Trustly Services, or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or within any SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible, including but not limited to (i) any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, quiet enjoyment, or non-infringement; and (ii) any warranties arising out of course of dealing, usage, or trade. The Trustly Entities do not warrant that the Trustly Services or any part thereof, or any materials or content offered through the Trustly Services, or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or within any SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible, will be uninterrupted, secure, or free of errors, viruses, or other harmful components, and do not warrant that any of the foregoing will be corrected.
No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from the Trustly Services or any materials or content available on or through the Trustly Services, or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or within any SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible, will create any warranty regarding any of the Trustly entities or the Trustly Services that is not expressly stated in these terms. You assume all risk for all damages that may result from your use of or access to the Trustly Services, your dealings with any merchants or other service users, and any materials or content available through the Trustly Services or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or within any SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible. You understand and agree that you use the Trustly Services, and use, access, download, or otherwise obtain materials or content through the Trustly Services, or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or within any SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible, and any associated sites or services, at your own risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your property (including your electronic device used in connection with the services) or loss of data that results from the use of the Trustly Services or the download or use of such materials or content.
Some jurisdictions may prohibit a disclaimer of warranties and you may have other rights that vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
23. Limitation of Liability. In no event will the Trustly Entities be liable to you for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, or other intangible losses) arising out of or relating to your access to or use of, or your inability to access or use, the Trustly Services or any materials or content on the services, whether based on warranty, contract, tort (including negligence), statute, or any other legal theory, whether or not the Trustly Entities have been informed of the possibility of such damage.
You agree that the aggregate liability of the Trustly Entities to you for any and all claims arising out of relating to the use of, access to, or any inability to use or access the Trustly Services (including any materials or content available through the Trustly Services, or any web site, mobile, tablet, console, kiosk, point of sale or other device applications, or within any SMS, instant message, email or other notification sent to you on or by which the Trustly Services are made available or accessible) or otherwise under these terms, whether in contract, tort, or otherwise, is limited to the greater of (i) the amounts (if any) you have paid to Trustly for access to and use of the Trustly Services in the 12 months prior to the claim, or (ii) $100.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages. Accordingly, the above limitation may not apply to you.
Each provision of these terms that provides for a limitation of liability, disclaimer of warranties, or exclusion of damages is to allocate the risks under these terms between you and Trustly. This allocation is an essential element of the basis of the bargain between you and Trustly. The limitations in this section will apply even if any limited remedy fails of its essential purpose.
24. Governing Law. These Terms shall be governed by the laws of the state of California without regard to conflict of law principles. To the extent that any lawsuit or court proceeding is permitted hereunder, you and Trustly agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state courts and federal courts located within Santa Clara County or San Mateo County, California for the purpose of litigating all such disputes.
25. Third Party Disputes. Any dispute you have with any third party, including without limitation your Bank, any Merchant, or other third party involved in or related to any information, payment or other transaction made or attempted to be made through the Trustly Services, or otherwise in connection with the Trustly Services, is directly and solely between you and such third party, and you irrevocably release Trustly (and our officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
26. Dispute Resolution. It is our goal to learn about and address your concerns. If we are unable to do so, then you and Trustly agree to resolve our disputes via binding arbitration.
(a) Arbitration. You and Trustly each agree that any and all disputes that have arisen or may arise between you and Trustly, including without limitation federal and state statutory claims, common law claims, and those based in contract, tort, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal theory, shall be resolved exclusively through final and binding arbitration, rather than in court; except as set forth below. Arbitration is more informal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court, and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award.
(b) Exceptions. You and Trustly both agree that nothing in this arbitration provision will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit your and Trustly’s right to (i) bring an individual action in small claims court, (ii) pursue equitable relief through applicable federal, state, or local agencies where such relief is available, (iii) seek any interim or preliminary relief from a court of law to protect the rights or property of either you or Trustly pending completion of arbitration, or (iv) file suit in a court of law to address intellectual property infringement claims.
(c) Arbitrator; Awards. Any arbitration between you and Trustly will be governed by the Commercial Dispute Resolution Procedures and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes (collectively, “AAA Rules”) of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), as modified by these Terms, and will be administered by the AAA. The AAA Rules and filing forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879, or by contacting Trustly. The arbitration award shall be in writing and shall include findings of fact and conclusions of law. Judgment on the arbitration award may be entered into any state or federal court having jurisdiction thereof.
(e) Fees; Process. In the event that you commence arbitration in accordance with these Terms, Trustly will, at your request, reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee for such arbitration, unless your claim is for greater than $10,000, in which case the payment of any fees shall be decided by the AAA Rules. Any request for payment of fees by Trustly must be submitted by mail to AAA along with your Demand for Arbitration. Any arbitration hearings will take place at a location to be agreed upon in Santa Clara County or San Mateo County, California; provided that if the claim is for $10,000 or less, you or Trustly may choose to have the arbitration conducted by telephone or based solely on written submissions, which election will be binding on you and Trustly subject to the discretion of the arbitrators to require an in-person hearing. If an in-person hearing is held, you and/or Trustly may attend by telephone, unless the arbitrator requires otherwise. If the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the Demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then the payment of all fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. In such case, you agree to reimburse Trustly for all monies previously disbursed by Trustly that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator shall issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the decision and award, if any, are based. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of fees or expenses at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
(f) No Class Actions. You and Trustly agree that you may each bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding. Further, unless both you and Trustly agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
(g) Enforceability. Except for the “No Class Action” section, if a court decides that any part of this arbitration provision is invalid or unenforceable, the other parts of this arbitration provision shall still apply. If a court decides that any of the provisions in the “No Class Action” section is invalid or unenforceable because it would prevent the exercise of a non-waivable right to pursue public injunctive relief, then any dispute regarding the entitlement to such relief (and only that relief) shall be severed from arbitration and may be litigated in court. All other disputes subject to arbitration under the terms of this arbitration provision shall be arbitrated as set forth in this section.
29. Contact Information. You may contact us at the address below or e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a California resident, you may have these Terms mailed to you electronically by sending a letter to the foregoing address with your electronic mail address and a request for these Terms.
555 El Camino Real, Suite 200
San Carlos, CA 94070